We’re off to Ireland’s Wild Atlantic Way – to one of the very wildest parts in fact, Louisburgh, Mayo.
This little town sits under the gaze of mighty Croagh Patrick – Ireland’s Holy Mountain and it’s a playground for watersports and adventure the likes of which can’t be seen anywhere else on the Island.
Think you know Ireland? Wait until you see it with a bit of Style.
We’ve put together a programme of kitesurfing, surfing, SUPing, Yoga, mountain hiking, coasteering, the BigStyle games, bonfires and a whole lot of craic. So whatever the weather we’ll have an action packed weekend.
We’ll meet outside Google on Barrow Street at 5.30 on Friday evening
The drive should take around 3 and a half hours meaning we probably won’t be there until 9.30 earliest.
When we get down BigStyle’s Mayo retreat George will be there firing up a bit it food on the BBQ – be sure to let us know if anyone is a vegetarian so we can make a plan.
We’ll have a few beers at the BBQ spot and we might even go down to the pub for anyone who’s keen.
So we’re up nice and early on Saturday morning – should be around 8am. We’ll be running a yoga class first thing in the morning in the garden of the retreat in good whether or inside if it’s raining.
Then we’ll meet for breakfast and after that we’ll head straight out to the kite spot if the wind is looking good for the morning.
If the wind’s playing ball we’ll spend the best part of the day kitesurfing. The lagoon where we’ll be learning to kitesurf is right beside one of Ireland’s best beginner surf beaches – so if the wind’s not there we’ll do some surfing and SUP surfing classes, which will be just as fun.
After lunch in the later afternoon if it’s not too windy (if it’s really windy we’ll still be kitesurfing) we’ll go coasteering – which is when we all wear helmets, wetsuits and buoyancy aids and jump off cliffs and swim through caves.
Then it’s back to the BigStyle HQ for beers, food, bonfire, craic, tunes and a fair bit of bejaysus.
We might leave the wake up a little later on Sunday but the minute we get up (after a bit of Yoga and breakfast) we’ll be back into the sea for our next adventure. Depending on the weather this will either be kitesurfing & surfing or the BigStyle games (you’ll have to wait and see what this is)
After that we’ll head into Louisburgh town for a bite of dinner and then we’ll hit the road back to Dublin.
We’ll be exhausted… the good kind of exhausted though.
- Two nights accommodation in shared rooms
- Two breakfasts and two dinners
- All activities and equipment:
- Kitesurfing lessons
- BigStyle games
- Loads of craic
- No hidden costs – we’re sound
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- Transport down… buuutttttt – we’ve always car-pooled people down and we’ve never left a man behind. If there’s no space in cars we’ll figure something else out, but it’s never happened.
- Lunch, but there’ll be plenty of opportunities to grab a sandwich.
WHAT TO BRING
It’s a bit of an adventure so we’ll need to be prepared for all eventualities – here’s a list of suggestions, if you can’t bring them all it’s not the end of the world.
- Waterproof clothes – jackets and trousers if you have them
- Warm clothes
- Solid walking shoes or boots
- A towel
- Old runners that you don’t mind getting wet
- Swimsuit or trunks for under the wetsuit
- A bit of money for pints and lunch
- Some beers for Saturday night (but these can be bought in town when we get there)