Welcome to BigStyle SUP School and Rental
Stand up Paddleboarding is the best possible way to explore Dublin’s beautiful coastline, not to mention a fantastic way to get fit.
Whether you’re a seasoned water–dweller or a landlubber taking your first tentative steps we’re delighted to be here to help you get your sea legs.
Why not come on down and learn something new!
DunLaoghaire harbour is located just over 10km from Dubin’s city centre and its 200 acres of water is steeped in over 200 years of history. It’s the perfect place to learn to Stand up Paddle as it’s sheltered from almost every wind direction and offers loads of space to make all kinds of mistakes.
We’re located at the slipway to the Coal Harbour – the oldest part of DunLaoghaire’s historic port. It also happens to be the most sheltered part of the whole harbour and the perfect place to take your first spin on a SUP.
We’ll make sure to match your progression, so if you’re taking to it like a duck to water we’ll set off to explore, or if you’re a bit unsure we’ll take our time and cruise around a small area.
Also if you know what you’re doing come on down and rent a board off us and go on an adventure.GET DIRECTIONS
What we offer:
- Rentals are available for people who have prior SUP experience.
- Renters should arrive 15 minutes before the time slot to make sure you’ve got your buoyancy aid are all wet-suited up before getting in the water.
- Rentals last an hour and a half and all equipment is included.
- You’re more than welcome to explore the whole of the harbour bar one or two places that are out of bounds.
- Check our map at the bottom of the page to see where our paddle area is within the harbour.
- A lesson is very important for first time paddlers, especially for those who are less confident on the water or are little less physically active.
- The lessons will begin with 15 to 20 minutes of on-land tuition covering the basic skill and techniques that will be needed to firstly paddle on your knees and then progress to standing.
- Then we’ll progress to the water where we’ll spend the rest of the time honing your skills and having a small explore of the harbour.
- Everybody learns at their own pace so we won’t be pushing anyone to try anything they’re not comfortable with but we’ll also be happy for people to experiment out there.
- The harbour tour is designed for either experienced paddlers or confident first timers.
- We’ll run through the basics on land to make sure everyone’s up to speed with the techniques and then we’ll take to the water for a further bit of coaching.
- The idea would be that once everyone’s ready we’ll set off to explore as much of the 250 acres of the harbour as we can – we’ll be keeping the paddling tips and advice going as we progress, along with letting you know a little about the history of the harbour.
- It’s a fantastic way to explore one of Dublin’s most beautiful historical areas and learn a new skill at the same time.
- One word of warning is that we will be affected by the weather, if it’s a windy day the distance we go paddling will be at the instructor’s discretion.
Unfortunately we can’t let people with no SUPing experience rent a paddleboard and go out into the harbour on their own.
We’ll need everyone who’s renting a SUP to have had at least one lesson, it doesn’t matter if it’s with us or somewhere else, or else have used a SUP a couple of times before.
If we judge that someone hasn’t used a SUP before we’ll have to take them off the water.
From late April to mid-September we’ll be open during the week from Tuesday to Friday and all weekend.
For lessons and rentals we have three time slots between 3pm and 8.30pm on weekdays and four slots between 10.30am and 6pm on weekends
For harbour tours we’ll have one slot available every week and that will be on Sunday evening from 6pm to 8pm.
We have three slots on weekday evenings:
these will take place from Tuesday to Friday as we’re closed on Monday:
- SUP Lesson and rental: : – 3.00pm to 4.30pm
- SUP Lesson and rental: – 5.00pm to 6.30pm
- SUP Lesson and rental: – 7.00pm to 8.30pm
We have four slots on weekends:
- SUP Lesson and rental: 10.30am to 12pm
- SUP Lesson and rental: 12.30pm to 2pm
- SUP Lesson and rental: 2.30pm to 4pm
- SUP Lesson and rental: 4.30pm to 6pm
Harbour Tours and Group Activities:
The harbour tour is designed for people with a bit of SUP experience as it will involve some more challenging paddling. For now we’ll have one harbour tour available per week:
- 2 hour long harbour tour: 6pm to 8pm on Sunday evenings
If you’re interested in booking a group for a harbour tour and lesson combination we can clear a time slot for you or even operate outside of our scheduled events. Click this link to go to our group booking page.
MAKE A BOOKING
- One or two quick things you should know before you come down for your lesson or rental
- Everything is included in the price – board, paddle, wetsuit, buoyancy aid and even wetsuit booties if you need them – so all you have to bring is shorts and a towel
- Try and be there at least 10 minutes before the lesson kicks off
- There’s plenty of parking beside the slip way we operate from but it costs €2 per hour
- We have changing rooms down in the harbour but due to Covid we’re discouraging people to use them. So it would be great if you could come wearing your swimming shorts and have a towel handy for changing
- We don’t have any toilet facilities at the moment so if you might want to take that into consideration